Tuesday 31 August 2010

The Suburbs

I'm a bit uneasy living in the suburbs of Virginia. I'd much prefer to live in DC. I feel disconnected from everyone and everything. I looked up a trip on wmata.com and it said it'd take an hour to get from where I live to Alexandria. That's crazy. Of course, the feeling of being disconnected will improve once I get the bus system down and finish my dissertation so I can go out and interact with the world. There are some things that are making me feel more comfortable with my new location, namely the lighting bugs, the trees, and the cardinals. They're like little presents. This morning, there was a bright red cardinal on the branch outside my window this morning, chirping away. What a lovely sight for 7am. One of these days, I'm going to go park hunting. Until then, enjoying the view from my window.

1 comment:

  1. its a long way from the path beside the estuary :-) you'd have loved it this morning, still, warm air, barely a breath, and nothing but the sound of the water lapping and the skitter of squirrel claws on the tree ...

    ReplyDelete