Sunday 12 December 2010

Worms

I took a trip down to North Carolina in September with some friends. They were headed down for a wedding and I took my dissertation along with me, hoping to write in the quiet of the North Carolina hills.We stayed at a beautiful house in the hills, a creek running down the hill beside it. It was a great place to spend the day outside, in the sunshine, and was a stark contrast from the place I was trying to write about: the Maldives.

I spent the day outside with the dogs, the trees, and the worms (pictured below). I learned what a buckeye is and enjoyed lounging on a giant trampoline. Excellent way to relax. Hope to be invited back.There's nothing like hanging out in the woods, surrounded by trees, bathing in sunshine, with the sound of birds and running water.

I think this one is a Canadian Tiger Swallowtail caterpillar. (reference: http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Caterpillars)
Inchworm 
Treehouse

Hickory Tussock? (compare: http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Caterpillars)

Caterpillars of Eastern North America: A Guide to Identification and Natural History (Princeton Field Guides)Inch WormThe Very Hungry Caterpillar Pop-Up Book

No comments:

Post a Comment