Tuesday 9 February 2010

Fun with words

I participated in an experiment today for some linguistics student. It was good fun. It had a lot of different phrases that I wasn't very familiar with, but think I did an okay job sussing out their meanings. It involved reading sentences one word at a time and using a video game controller to move from word to word and answer yes or no questions. I haven't held a controller in ages.
The one phrase that stuck out for me was 'train up'. I still haven't decided whether it refers to training or a method of transportation. The second part of the experiment was sentence completion. The whole thing reminded me about how much I enjoy language and one of the reasons why I love British folks is that they are playful with language and their use of it often makes me reexamine it.

No comments:

Post a Comment