Sunday 11 July 2010

Maldivian Storm

The wind is howling, lighting flashing in the sky, thunder crackling, and the rain is pouring down. It's been coming down for at least an hour without any sign of relief. From my window on the 3rd floor, the sea is only distinguishable from the gray clouds by one small area of wave action at the foot of the airport reef. Yesterday, with short periods of heavy rain, many of the streets flooded. I can't imagine what they're like now. I think wading would be involved. (Shame I didn't think to bring my wellies.) I can see the rain falling in patterns on the corrugated roof next door. The wind is howling around the building. The trees are swaying. I have a meeting in half an hour and I'm not sure whether I should go. I'd hate to arrive, soaked through, to find no one has come to work today, and I'd more than that hate to miss my appointment with the Ministry of Housing, Transport and Environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment