Sunday 24 January 2010

Making Stock

Today I try my first attempt at making veggie soup stock. I've been collecting veggie bits for about ten days now (adding them to a used bread bag and storing them in the freezer) and tonight, I start what I think will be a four hour project of making soup stock.

On my page-long list of things to read for this week's lectures are a few articles about waste. Veggie stock is part of my effort to reduce my waste--making use of even the scraps--and to do more making-my-own.

A visit to my friend Emily recent convinced me I should be doing this. So I am. So far, all the veggies are in the pot (filling it about 3/4 of the way). I've brought them to boil and reduced to summer. It's about a half hour into a three hour simmer. Then, season to taste and cool for storage. Tomorrow: potato leek soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment